Thursday, March 10, 2011

Variety in McGrath!


Today was a crisp day in McGrath, Alaska. It wasn't a very busy day because the mushers coming in were interspersed, but there was about 7-10 mushers taking their 24 hour layovers at the checkpoint. We had plenty of hay to rake up though, because mushers were coming and going all during the day. I scooped many piles of poop and raked MANY piles of hay. It was hard work and I even got hot when I had been doing it for a while. It was all worth it though because the mushers were very grateful. Halfway through the day we walked to the dropped dog station at the airport to help with dogs that had been dropped. I had met a dog yesterday that I felt I had a special connection with, and I saw this dog again. At the dropped dog station, no one knows the names of the dogs. They are numbered by the mushers bib number and the numbers they were registered in. For instance, if one of the dogs is lame, the handlers might say, "We need a vet on 6A." That would mean the musher's bib number is 6 and the dog was the first one on the team to be registered. The dog I liked was 33Q, and he was AMAZING! Later in the day we walked to a nearby house and some of us got to try to mush a team of 3 dogs! After the dog mushing, we continued our native beading. We each made a key chain and it was really fun! I also got lots of dog booties from mushers in the last few days. Last night musher Kelly Maxiner gave me 35 dog booties and signed 14 of them! Today I got 10 dog booties that I found on the ground and 1 signed by Cain Carter, (An AWESOME!) musher! So far, I have gotten dog booties signed by Kelly Maxiner, GB Jones, Cain Carter, DeeDee Jonrowe, Lance, Mackey, and Martin Buser. I am really excited to have these musher's signatures! Thank you to all the mushers for signing my coat and the dog booties!

No comments: