Wednesday, March 9, 2011

McGrath Checkpoint

We got to see a lot of mushers come through the checkpoint tonight and it was incredible! Most just went right through when they were done being checked but a few stayed for a few minutes and one musher is taking his 24-hour layover here. Some of the mushers that came were Martin Buser, Lance Mackey, Dallas Seavey, DeeDee Jonrowe, and Aliy Zirkle. I only got one autograph and that was from Dallas Seavey but I had others from the start of the race in Anchorage. It was pretty cold but we had a room that we could go into and warm up, also there was food that we could get at the Snack Shack. One of the things that I noticed about McGrath is that you can see a lot of stars in the sky. Tonight was really clear so we could see the big dipper right above us. I can't wait for tomorrow to hopefully see more mushers and just to hang out at the checkpoint!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's so cool. One of the things that impressed me so much when we moved to Maine was how close the night sky seemed. I guess it's even closer in Alaska!